Non-EU/EEA students

As a non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen you can be granted a Danish residence permit to study in Denmark. How do you obtain a residence permit to study in Denmark as a non-EU citizen? And how long does it take to get one? Here is what you need to know.

In order to be granted a residence permit you must document:

  • That you have been accepted as a student at Aarhus School of Marine and Technical Engineering. The school is classified as a higher education.
  • If you are to pay a tuition fees, you must document that you have paid the tuition fee for the first semester or year. If you are not to pay tuition fees, you must prove in writing that you can support yourself financially while in Denmark. Please note that a foreign student in Denmark may not receive public assistance / benefit payments. If you do so, your residence permit can be revoked.
  • That you can speak and understand the language of instruction (our elective subject Energy – Management and Technology is carried out in English) and have a working knowledge of either Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English or German.

How to apply for a student residence permit:

  • First, the international office at Aarhus School of Marine and Technical Engineering begins the application process by completing our part (part 2) of the application form for a residence and work permit for students (ST1) and attaching the required documents. We send the form and attached documents to you.
  • Then, you complete your part (part 1) of the form and attach your own supporting documents. Next, submit the application in its entirety at the nearest Danish embassy or general consulate in your home country. It will then be forwarded to the Danish Immigration Service for processing.
  • After arrival in Denmark you should register in the Civil Registration System (CPR) as soon as possible. We will take you to the nearest Citizen Service Centre to apply. Remember to bring your residence permit (website in Danish only). When you have received your CPR number, you are fully registered and can use the CPR number card to e.g. open a bank account, use the library or get a membership card for your local DVD store.

Fee for submitting an application
A processing fee will normally have to be paid in order for your application to be processed by the Danish Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment. The fee can either be paid by you (the applicant) or by another person, such as a person in Denmark. Students pay DKK 1,645 (approx. € 222, $ 300). Read more about rates here.

If you submit your application to a diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate general) you will normally also have to pay a fee. The fee can vary in price. It is a good idea to check the fee on the website of the diplomatic mission before submitting your application.

As of 20 May 2012, all non-EU citizens aged over 18 must have their photograph, fingerprints and signature recorded digitally when they submit their application for a Danish residence permit.

Click here and see where to apply for a biometric residence permit after February 2, 2015 (list is subject to change).

Other useful links
The Danish Immigration Service – how to apply
The Danish Immigration Service – about higher educational programmes